JDPC-Onitsha in partnership with Family and Human Life unit to answer the call of Pope Francis to celebrate the first ever WORLD DAY FOR THE ELDERLY AND GRANDPARENTS in the name of the Archbishop most Rev. Valerian Maduka Okeke marked the day at the Holy Spirit Parish Omagba with 80 elderly persons with the following highlights:
1. The visitation of 15 sick elders in their homes with gifts.
2. Eucharist celebration with the elderly.
3. Talk on ageing process and it’s challenges.
4. Pope Francis message: “I’m with you always” calling on the elders to take an active apart in renewing and supporting our troubled societies through three pillars dreams, memory and prayer.
5. Medicare: Free sugar and blood pressure test with free distribution of drugs were administered.
6. Funfair: The elders socialized and interacted with themselves with the following games; Ludo game, Ayo game, ball throwing, singing and dancing.
7. Launch: Enjoyed five types of delicious meals – breadfruit, vegetable yam, vegetable cocoyam, unripe plantain porridge, fio fio with natural fruit juice.
Justice Peace Development / Caritas. making impactful actions in our society and creating direct access to core development, justice for all and improving the livelihood of the poor.